Mixed Gangliosides, purified, bovine (NH4+ salt)

CATALOG # 1065
Amount 25 mg
Price $270.00
Qty
 
Mixed Gangliosides, purified, bovine (NH4+ salt)
  • Catalog #:1065
  • Scientific Name:Mixed Gangliosides,purified, bovine (NH4+ salt)
  • Common Name:Mixed Gangliosides Typical fatty acid content
  • SDSView Safety Data Sheet
  • Data Sheet:View Data Sheet
  • Unit:25 mg
  • Source:natural
  • Purity:98+%
  • Analytical Methods:TLC
  • Natural Source:bovine
  • Solubility:chloroform/methanol/water, 2:1:0.1; forms micellar solution in water
  • Physical Appearance:solid
  • Storage:-20°C
  • Composition:Approximately 98% GM1, GD1a, GD1b, GT1b, remaining 2% other gangliosides
  • Dry Ice:No
  • Hazardous:No
  • Literature References:Application Notes:

    This product contains a natural mixture of gangliosides (approximately 98% GM1, GD1a, GD1b, and GT1b) found in the central nervous system of adult bovine. The ratio of different gangliosides changes according to age, species, and organ. Gangliosides1 are acidic glycosphingolipids that form lipid rafts in the outer leaflet of the cell plasma membrane, especially in neuronal cells in the central nervous system.2 They participate in cellular proliferation, differentiation, adhesion, signal transduction, cell-to-cell interactions, tumorigenesis, and metastasis.3 The accumulation of gangliosides has been linked to several diseases including Tay-Sachs and Sandhoff disease. An autoimmune response against gangliosides can lead to Guillain-Barre syndrome. Gangliosides act as receptors for various toxins and bacteria, accumulate in different tumors, and aid in many neuronal functions. Therefore they are very important in therapeutic processes.

    References:
    1. L. Svennerholm, et al. (eds.), Structure and Function of Gangliosides, New York, Plenum, 1980
    2. T. Kolter, R. Proia, K. Sandhoff. Combinatorial Ganglioside Biosynthesis. J. Biol. Chem. July Vol. 277, No. 29, pp. 25859-25862, 2002
    3. S. Birkle, G. Zeng, L. Gao, R. K. Yu, and J. Aubry, Role of tumor-associated gangliosides in cancer progression. Biochimie, 85, 455–463, 2003